The Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) is a program for pregnant women and new mothers. Dr. Manmohan Singh, the former prime minister of India, introduced it in the year 2005. The National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) is the organization behind it. By making institutional delivery services accessible and affordable to India’s underprivileged expectant mothers, this program aims to lower maternal and newborn mortality rates. In this post, we’ll discuss the Janani Suraksha Yojana’s details, including its features, benefits, and more.
Introduction to Janani Suraksha Yojana.
The National Health Mission’s Janani Suraksha Yojana is a cash assistance program run by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. It was introduced on April 12th, 2005 and is a plan to give pregnant women financial support to pay for the delivery costs that arise at the time of delivery and for subsequent care of the mother and her child. This scheme is a completely centrally financed program. This program focuses specifically on helping low-income pregnant women have healthy pregnancies and health care after delivery. It pays particular attention to Low Performing States (LPS).
With this program, under the direction of the Ministry of Health and Family, cash support is given for delivery and post-delivery care. The JSY scheme closely collaborates with Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHA), who serve as a point of contact between the government and low-income pregnant women in ten underperforming states.
You may also like : Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
Benefits of Janani Suraksha Yojana
The benefits and features of Janani Suraksha Yojana are listed below:
- Pregnant women in Rural areas can receive cash assistance of Rs. 1400 in low-performing states and Rs. 700 in high-performing states.
- Pregnant women in Urban areas can receive cash assistance of Rs.1000 in low-performing states and Rs. 600 in high-performing states.
- Pregnant mothers Below Poverty Line (BPL) who decide to give birth at home would receive cash support of Rs. 500.
- Workers with Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHA) will receive cash assistance of Rs. 600 in rural areas and Rs. 400 in urban areas.
- In Low Performing States, there are no restrictions on the age or number of children a woman can deliver.
- In a high-performing state, women are eligible for the benefit of two pregnancies.
- Free antenatal checkups for a minimum of three deliveries.
- The Janani Suraksha Card and the Mother-Child Health Card are given to each beneficiary.
- When the beneficiary arrives and registers for delivery at the health center, she is given her entitlement money.
Eligibility Criteria For Janani Suraksha Yojana
To be eligible for Janani Suraksha Yojana benefits, you must meet the requirements listed below:
- Pregnant women under the Below Poverty line (BPL), whether in urban or rural areas.
- Only pregnant women who are older than 19 years old are eligible for the benefits offered by the program. Under the Janani Suraksha Yojana, women under the age of 19 cannot register.
- The scheme only accepts women with a maximum of two live births.
- Only pregnant women who have enrolled in the JSY scheme and have given birth at public hospitals or specifically chosen private medical facilities are eligible for the program.
Low Performing State(LPS) and High Performing State(HPS) for the JSY scheme.
Low-performing states are those in which less than 25% of births are institutional, i.e., the baby was born at home rather than at a public hospital, primary care facility, or community health center. Such States Are:-
- Uttar Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh
- Jammu and Kashmir.
High-performing states are those where more than 25% of births are institutional, meaning they take place at a government hospital, primary school, or community health center as instead of at home.
- The remaining States and Union Territories are all High Performing States which are not in the list of Low Performing States.
Documents Required For Janani Suraksha Yojana
The following are the Documents required:-
- Aadhar card
- Delivery certificate
- JSY card
- Mobile number
- Address proof
- BPL Ration Card
- Passport-size photo
- Bank details, etc.
How to apply for Janani Suraksha Yojana.
You can enroll in the Janani Suraksha Yojana by doing the easy steps below:
Step 1: Visit Janani Suraksha Yojana’s official website, click “Apply Online,” and then access the online application form.
Step 2: You can complete the registration offline by downloading the form. Click on the ‘Download Offline Form’ link, and select the language you want. The form is accessible in English as well as all local languages.
Step 3: There are different sections in the form. Enter the necessary details, including the pregnant woman’s name, age, address, etc.
Step 4: Carefully and accurately fill out all the details to avoid having your application rejected.
Step 5: Attach the necessary documentation to serve as proof of the provided personal information.
Step 6: Submit it to ASHA or an Anganwadi center. If you want the online method, click on ‘Submit’.
Step 7: A code will be generated, which you must save for later use.
A JSY card will be sent through the postal service or by workers at ASHA when the provided information has been verified.
Read also: Kisan Credit Card Scheme
Read also: Duty Drawback Scheme
Read also : (2023) Sambal Card Download MP